Saturday, March 20, 2010

Coyote in the backyard...

I was woken up this morning by the pitter-patter of feet running up the stairs and straight to my side of the bed.
“Mom, Mom, Mommy. I just saw a coyote run by the backdoor!”

Oh, he was in such a tizzy! With my eyes still closed, I mumbled in a non-believing tone, “Carson do you really think it was a coyote?”

As I rolled over, I found myself almost annoyed that my son’s imagination had caused me to wake up 3 minutes before the buzz of my alarm. He jumped to my bedroom window, pulled the curtain open and started to scan the backyard for the animal he claimed to have just seen.
“Mom, he was this high, solid black….”

My son truly believed that he saw a real live, black, beastly coyote just a step away from our back door. As I laid in bed hoping that I could get those last 2 minutes of sleep, I was reminded of my own Heavenly Father and how I must appear to him when I believe I have a “coyote in my backyard”. Sometimes I get overwhelmed, scared and concerned....I start to worry about matters I cannot control. What I see as huge dangers and obstacles, my Heavenly Father knows are figments of my earthly imagination. Naturally we worry about the big things, the small things… the things we think we see looming around us. I was reminded of Proverbs 3:5-6:

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."

As my alarm began to buzz, I hit the snooze and asked Carson to come over to my side of the bed again. This time, he jumped onto the bed with me as I put my arms around him and we talked about what I think it was….a loose dog.

Slowly, Carson started to agree with me and his fears were calmed. Yes, it definitely could have been a dog. Aren’t you glad that just like my son could come to me with fears, we have a Heavenly Father to run to?

~Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts? Comments make my life much more interesting!