Thursday, April 22, 2010

Exposing myself...

Oh yes, I said it… I am exposing myself. Here goes…. I AM A BIRTHMOTHER! All right, it is out there for the world to see. This “label” isn’t something that naturally comes up in conversation, nor is it something that people feel comfortable talking about. Now where do I find a t-shirt that boasts this new found exposure?!

For two years of my life, I worked at a cotton plant in rural North Carolina. When I left that job, I found myself taking much better care of my clothing and read every label before washing. “Wash with like colors” “Dry Clean only” etc. These labels (or instructions) are placed in the garment so that we can know how to best care for each piece. After my adoption decision, I think I have had many instructions and labels through the different stages of my life.

So back to my Birth Mother label…. It is a label that many of us ladies keep to ourselves, only to share it with a few that we trust through our lives. It is a label that is attached with a tag “Handle with Care” as if we are wool and will be shrink with too much heat. But over time, it is a label that can beam with unconditional love and pride in the choice that we made. For others, this label brings frustration with the mystery of the “what ifs”. Either way, it is our label to wear and soon you will decide if you can be washed with like colors or if you are still dry clean only.


I think I have some laundry to do!
~Janelle

“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.” 1 Peter 4:12-13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts? Comments make my life much more interesting!