Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What do you think?


Good Afternoon Everyone~

When I came in from lunch today, Deanne encouraged me to check out the Family Life Services Facebook page where she posted a great question. 

What language do you feel is acceptable in referring to parents who are considering placing a child through adoption - birth parent, expectant parent, prospective birth parent etc.?

Already, it has sparked great feedback.... feedback that has made me reconsider what I feel is acceptable.  I thought you may want to check it out and leave your thoughts as well! 

I hope you are having a great Tuesday.
 
~Janelle

PS. Pictures have been posted on Deanne's Blog of our last placement.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think that "expectant mother" is just fine. All mothers are mothers, labels should only be used as a last resort when referring to a specific mother is necessary.

    I feel when we call Adoptive Moms "mom" and surrendering moms "birthmom," we're qualifying one mother as a lesser mother than the other, which essentially tells an adopted person how they ought to feel about their families. Language in both adoption and society can either be oppressive to an adopted person or it can allow them to be free to feel. It's important to keep that in mind.

    I call both of my moms "mom" and would not have it any other way--for me at least.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your thoughts? Comments make my life much more interesting!