Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Passages...

One of the biggest misconceptions about the Liberty Godparent Home is that all of our residents have to place their babies for adoption.  This is far from the truth!   In fact, we have more residents that make parenting plans rather than adoption plans. 
The words below are from a young lady that was a resident of the Liberty Godparent Home and decided to make a parenting plan.  It has been a pleasure to watch her grow into a mom and see the unconditional love that she has for her daughter.
Have a great day~  Janelle  

Passages

I have often been told that there will be a moment in your life where you will be faced with a choice unlike any you have made before. Little did I know that the choice I would face was one that I had often said I would never let happen.

You see, I grew up in a Christian home. Raised as a Baptist Pastor’s Kid, I have always known what the Bible says when it comes to immorality; sadly, I never took to heart any of the things I was taught.
I didn’t come to know the Lord as my personal Savior until I was 22 years old, and nothing has ever come close to the joy and peace of that day. The years passed and I lost the joy of having a relationship with Christ because I allowed myself to be distracted by the things around me, much like Peter did in the Bible, and I began to sink deeper into a patter of living that makes me ashamed to remember.

One day I started dating a guy I KNEW was wrong, but by this point I was so far from God that I didn’t care anymore. I was going to do what I wanted to do.
I broke it off with him a few weeks into the relationship, and not three days after I did, I found out I was pregnant. I can remember how afraid I was to tell my parents, but they were so supportive of me. They immediately began praying that God would help them to find a place where I could go to get some spiritual help. God answered in a way only HE could.

The Liberty Godparent Home became my new home for the rest of my pregnancy. At first I didn’t want to be there, but slowly God began to chip away at the barrier that I had put up between him and me through all of the loving ladies that work there. The staff really showed their heart and soul and in doing so, they helped me to come to terms with my past choices, and with the fact that I was still a LOVED child of God. I met and made a few good friends, and learned that God had a purpose for every situation I was going through. Though he wasn’t happy with the choices I had made that took me down the road to being an unwed mother, he did show me that I was NOT alone in my situation.

I decided to parent early on, and God solidified that choice every day I spent at the Godparent Home. I saw girls make such sacrifices in their lives, and it really opened my eyes to the sacrifices that GOD made for me every day. The first time I laid eyes on my daughter, I remembered that God had brought me through all the rough times and NEVER left my side. He gave me friends to help me through the difficulties of being away from home, and he gave me staff to help me see the things I couldn’t otherwise see. Looking into my daughter’s eyes, I finally understood the love of a parent, and the love that God has for each and every person.

I walked away from the Godparent Home with, not just a deeper understanding of myself and my mistakes, but also a deeper understanding of God and his limitless love for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts? Comments make my life much more interesting!