Monday, May 9, 2011

Rings

I am excited to share the thoughts of Jenn Etheridge, our guest blogger and houseparent at the Liberty Godparent Home.  I love her heart and compassion for each young lady that has come to the Home.
~Janelle

We stand behind 3 other rows of Godly women- packed into the conference- currently enveloped in a swirling, lifting, airy and full song of praise. The beautiful ladies in front of us have their hands raised to the Lord, fingers outstretched and faces looking up. When I look up ahead of me, I see  a row of hands, small and slender, worn or young and supple, waving lovely like a garden row of blossoms, some higher than others, but sending up worship none the less. We sing, too. It knits us together, and our spirits are happy toward God and Jesus. 

The thing that strikes my heart is that these feminine hands all have wedding rings. They wear silver or gold bands, diamonds and jewels, expensive and symbolic for all to see. For a quick moment I look down the row at our girls to see if they notice what I am seeing, too. But they don’t. They are singing, or are awkward and look down, or stand quiet but let their bodies sway gently to the music. I am relieved. My heart goes out to them for this missing thing, this missing component in their lives. My girls do not wear rings. Despite the fullness of their bellies under their ill-fitting maternity blouses, their hands are not so adorned…..yet.

The women in front of us have forgotten about their rings, as they should, and have focused on praise. They probably have worn them for so long they have almost forgotten them… Or have taken them for granted, maybe even along with the commitments they represent. 

The need for this lovely gift in these girls lives just swells up in my mind the more I sing, the more I stare at that row of hands with rings. I am thankful for the Lord, who loves them more than any man could, and also more than we can. But I pray a little prayer and ask God for this: that they may one day be blessed with a man who loves God, who follows the Lord, who will love them and be kind and affectionate and be a good provider and protector. I ask this for my own children all the time, but for the girls, sometimes the odds seem a bit higher. Some will place their child for adoption, some will parent- but they all have a desire to have just a plain, good man in their life, who will put a ring on their finger and enrich their lives. And we ask and trust that God will prepare them both in the mean time.  So I am asking for you to pray for this, too.  


He who finds a wife finds a good thing
And obtains favor from the LORD.
PRVB. 18:22

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/09/2011

    A very touching, powerful post. Thank you for that observation, Jen. I will also be praying the girls at the home find this.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your thoughts? Comments make my life much more interesting!