Saturday, July 23, 2011

Looking back .... Sarah's story

When I think back to the Liberty Godparent Home and my time spent there, words can hardly express how my life has been impacted. On August 21st, 2007, I found out I was pregnant. I was fresh out of high school, starting college 18 hours away from home, with big dreams and goals for my life. Teenage pregnancy was definitely NOT in those dreams and goals. I had heard about the Liberty Godparent Home when I was in high school, and it seemed like a good time to check it out. After doing some research, my mom and I decided that this was the place for me. I arrived on a cold January day, and my life has not been the same since.

There are two things that stand out to me that make the Godparent Home special; first, the staff. They were warm and caring. On my birthday my case worker called my mom to find out my favorite cake and she made it for me. I received birthday gifts and a small party. It was not the same as being with my family, but the staff at the Godparent Home did everything to make it special during a difficult time. In addition, the staff was very respectful of my right to make decisions regarding my child’s future. They worked to create a realistic plan based on my desires and strove to make sure I was prepared and well informed. The support the staff offered me was invaluable.

The second factor that had a deep impact on me was how Christ-centered the Liberty Godparent Home was. Church was a priority. In addition, every weekday morning the staff took time to lead us in devotions. Devotions gave us a chance to ask questions and to learn more about Christ. The staff prayed over us and loved us unconditionally – the way Christ calls His followers to love. Despite my pregnancy, I never felt judged or belittled. I only felt the unconditional, redeeming love of Christ radiating through the staff. This love allowed me to see the grace Christ was offering me and helped me to accept the forgiveness I needed.

I am so glad that I chose to come to the Liberty Godparent Home. I am very grateful for how they have poured into my life. I know that without the Liberty Godparent Home I would not be where I am today. I praise the Lord for what He has done in my life and that the staff at the Liberty Godparent Home allowed themselves to be used by Him.
~Sarah


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your thoughts? Comments make my life much more interesting!